Saturday, February 13, 2010

Kimono Pin-Ups

After almost 3 month of kimono hiatus I was finally able to wear kimono again! Originally I was supposed to do a Red Sonja photo shoot today, but that fell through so I was quick to suggest to my photographer a kimono photo shoot instead. She agreed and after initial brainstorming, we came up with the idea of kimono pin-ups. Actually it was more along the lines of me coming up with the idea and her just agreeing to it haha :)

I made one thing very clear, and that was that I will NOT do any kind of 'pretend geisha' stuff to add sexiness to the shoot. Instead our challenge was to make kimono look sexy and playful without revealing any skin! After all, this is what kimono is all about: understated sexuality, completely covered up modesty and generally being very proper.

At first I wore zori with my kimono, but after looking in the mirror I decided to wear pumps instead because it just seemed more fitting. I'm very happy with the result because western pumps add additional 'flare' to the kimono already combined with western accessories.

All the photos below are unedited versions given to me by photographer. She will give me a few of edited ones and as soon as I have them, I'll post them :)

Photographer: Charolotte Murray http://www.modelmayhem.com/789225

I was trying to do the classic pin-up pout, and by the end of the day I got quite good at it! But I still need practice of course! :)











I think I can safely say that this photo is my favorite from the whole bunch :)








6 comments:

  1. Wow! It's so modern! so cute! so sexy!
    Hats, pumps, gloves and wig are matching kimono very well. :)
    Though I too sometimes wear pumps and gloves with kimono, I don't have long lace gloves.
    It's sooo nice! I'll look for gloves like yours. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe when I have more of a selection in my kimono collection and moeny I will pull togther some outfits like this. My current collection is too contempary...
    Though when I do have the items I need I would love for you to help me plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aki_fox, you're too funny :) I would say ALL of my kimono are contemporary, but it wouldn't be true. I have 2 kimono that I think are from 1930s-40s ;P But other than that, I don't own any vintage kimono. I don't buy them on principle - first, they don't fit me, and second they are just not my style. In fact, I consider 'my style' to be quite contemporary :)

    So all you really need is some accessories to make your outfit look vintage :) And some hair styling haha!

    That said, I can't wait for you to let me plan an outfit for you! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point! I think the kimono that would be able to pull off the vintage look that I own would be the yellow komon kimono. Though I have no idea what I would pair it with.
    Oh, I got some cute tabi that I'm going to wear with my next outfit that is really cute!
    It will be so girly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aki_fox, send me a link to your collection photos and I'll come up with stuff! ;P

    ReplyDelete