Sunday, September 9, 2012

Won't Miss #3: cobblestone

I used to think I can walk without tripping in any type of shoes, but not so much after I moved to England. I don't know if my inner clumsiness had finally came out (and as a result I should start cosplaying Usagi instead of Rei for authenticity purposes), or the roads are simply different. I tend to lean toward option B because of COBBLESTONE! It's freaking everywhere here! And I get that England is old, and cities are old, and that's what people used to pave the roads, and then something about cobblestone shifting instead of cracking so it lasts longer. I get it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

Cobblestone is pretty hard to walk on, especially when every little stone had shifted and there are big gaps in between. Now, no matter which shoes I wear, I guaranteed to trip at least once. Yes, even when I wear flats. It's extremely annoying, especially when I wear kimono, because I know everyone is staring at me, so the last thing I want to do is trip while whole bunch of people are watching.
Photos taken during our last trip to London.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I know your problem! I live near a town where half the streets (okay, nit really, but most of the city centre) is cobblestones. Looks pretty, but I really often see tourist struggle to keep their footing, even more so when it's raining or snowing.
    Fun thing is, the more bumpy the street is, the less likely I will trip. But have you ever tried going over cobblestone by bike? Horrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't own a bike so I haven't :( Nor do I live near any place worth taking a bike to, since it's at least 15 miles to the nearest city and the roads are simply scary on the way there (very narrow, winding and with high speed limits).

      Delete
  2. OMG I know the feeling. I live in a historical city and there are cobblestones EVERYWHERE! Especially on the highstreet where all the pubs/clubs happen to be, which guarantees that a lot of people end up falling flat on their face by the end of the night =/

    ReplyDelete